Sunday, February 28, 2010

SNOWBOARDING AND FIGHTING A COLD


It's been quite a while since I have logged in for an update. My apologies, but after my epic Mt. Hamilton climb, my family packed our bags and headed to Truckee/Tahoe for my daughter Keats' winter break for a week of skiing at Northstar.

It was a fantastic week with my family. Keats tried snowboarding for the first time and had a blast and some challenges. After an all day lesson, she boarded the rest of the week with Meena and I.

We charged for three days and Keats had the opportunity to meet up with some friends. The weather was amazing and the previous month of snowstorms made for a great base of snow. Daily temperatures averaged 55 degrees and Sun. We ended up shedding our jackets every day and boarded in our base layers. Unbelievable.

After three full days of good quality boarding, we were all pretty wiped out. Meena and Keats wanted to sleep in on the fourth day and play the day by ear. They ended up sleeping for 11 hours! We decided to hang out and spend the day in Tahoe City and Truckee.

Some of the best memories I have are of my winter breaks with my family and friends. I am hoping it has the same impression on Keats. She's at the age where the social world is opening up for her and friends are becoming very, very important. I am grateful she had the opportunity to spend it with her friends.

After coming home, we all ended up getting sick. I have been fighting a cold for the past week and have not been able to train at all.

I did head out yesterday for a quick 30 minute run. Although it was short, it was good to finally get my aerobic engine working again. I am feeling good enough to get things started again tomorrow.

I am a little stressed about Wildflower. It is only two months away and getting sick after a week of non-specific activity has set me back, I am sure.

I have to move forward nonetheless and just concentrate on what I need to do to get ready for Wildflower.

At the core of it, this challenge is what triathlon is all about. Facing adversity and challenge, adapting and overcoming what obstacles or doubts exist. Pushing through and believing in yourself. All good things when put in that perspective.

It is a good challenge that I will try to manage as best as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment