Wednesday, April 7, 2010

BACK FROM ILLNESS

I have not been able to blog these past four weeks because I have been fighting one of the worst viruses I have ever had. What started off as a simple cold turned into a snot-knocker that had me down for two weeks and now, four weeks later, I am still fighting it.

I have not been able to train at all and am still at 80-85%. My training and race calendar need to be re-adjusted to account for my time lost in the base building phase. Wildflower Long Course is, unfortunately, out. It's not a race you can fake and will do longer term damage to my fitness and mental preparation.

I basically have to start my training cycle from scratch and I doubt that any of my early season training and fitness will be there when I begin again. It's unfortunate, but it is part of the lesson.

When I first got sick at the end of February I really should have slowed down and listened to my body. Instead, I was too impatient and started to train again after only a few days of resting. The body never lies. It always comes down to whether I want to put aside my ego and listen to what my body is telling me.

I always lose when I don't.

And I'm paying for it now.

After meeting with my coach, Muddy, we decided that we would wait until I felt 100% to get focused again. I am looking at getting things started next week.

The good news is that it is still very early in the year and I still have an opportunity to get solid training in before IMW.

No comments:

Post a Comment