Saturday, January 16, 2010

GETTING INVOLVED

I have learned in the very short time I have been involved with the Janus Charity Challenge that racing for a cause of any kind makes the experience of preparation, training and, I hope and anticipate, participating much more meaningful and life-changing.

I have been fortunate to finish two Ironman distance events (Wisconsin '05 & Couer d'Alene '07) and had deeply emotional and otherworldly experiences at each. Wisconsin was the first time I had challenged and stretched myself so physically and mentally. And Couer d'Alene was a test to see if I could improve from Wisconsin.

The training and racing was a journey into the unknown and challenged me in ways I never thought possible. I will never forget crossing the finish line and the sense of accomplishment and overwhelming bewilderment I felt. It was special and deeply personal, but what I have discovered is that making the race about something larger than myself is far more satisfying and purposeful.

Committing to raise money for the Livestrong Foundation in honor of the people I know and love who have or are fighting cancer connects me to the world in ways training and racing for myself never could. I am hoping to make a difference in some small way and through my experience bring positive energy to the karmic universe.

I encourage anyone who is thinking of racing this coming year to seek out opportunities to support a charity. Team in Training, Challenged Athletes Foundation and Janus Charity Challenge (for Ironman North America events) are just a few of the organizations that participants can affiliate with.

Check your races to see if they have a foundation or a fundraising program or research and sign up for races that benefit a charity or foundation.

We can all make a difference in some way while doing the very thing we love to do.

I am grateful for the opportunity and the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment