Saturday, January 9, 2010

RACING FOR A CAUSE

As I mentioned in the sub-title to my blog, I will be racing in honor and in memory of family and friends who are battling or have battled cancer. I have registered with the Janus Charity Challenge and will be raising money for the Livestrong Foundation. My goal is to raise at least $5,000 and will be launching my fund raising campaign by the end of January.

My Mother is a survivor of uterine cancer which was diagnosed in 2005. It obviously was a difficult time, but luckily it was caught early. My mother was aggressive in her treatment and is a 5 year survivor.

Over the past 2 years, I have personally known 7 people who have had cancer treatment. My daughter's 12 year old friend, Alexis, past away from bone cancer this past year. Five colleagues had cancer treatment with a majority fighting breast cancer. And for the past three months my best friend's wife is undergoing chemo.

It's a strange and difficult series of coincidences. An emotional and unavoidable reality that puts everything into perspective. The world keeps moving, but I see my friends fighting their disease with dignity and strength. So little of what I clutter and complicate my life with matters in light of their struggle. I am at once ashamed and inspired, crestfallen and proud, helpless and empowered.

I decided to honor them and everyone who is fighting cancer through Ironman Wisconsin. I am committed to contribute and to make the race about something greater and more meaningful than me.

I am training and racing for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment